Monday, December 24, 2018

A Christmas Dream




Last night I had a perfect dream 
The doorbell rang on Christmas Eve
And there on the stoop
Were my mom and dad
I couldn’t believe it
They were just as I remembered from my childhood
Young and healthy, loving, fun
My mother full of laughter and high spirits
My dad with his shy grin and quirky jokes 
Then right behind them
My brothers Steven and Peter 
My brother-in-law George
All home to visit from far away
Overjoyed to be together after so many years 
Vicki and Katja came in
And Margie and Faith and Gayle
All of Vic’s and Doris’s grandkids with their families
The first time everyone was together at once 
My dad and I went across the road
And chopped down a handsome white pine
We hauled it back and took it to the auto body shop
Where Vic had it spray-painted white
Soon to be covered in home-made ornaments
The children frolicked in the foot-deep snow 
Making snowmen and snow angels 
Throwing snowballs at the Norway Pines 
Our Irish setters, Mike and Micki, racing about 
Our NOLA grandchildren, V and L, had never seen so much snow 
Steven made us all Manhattans and Old-Fashioneds
We munched on sardines and creamed herring 
And traded memories of Christmases past
Peter, of course, remembered more than anybody
Steven teased Vicki about her childhood
And she gave him a stiff punch in the arm 
Doris was busy cooking a turkey in the kitchen 
Katja made the stuffing
Margie, the sweet potatoes and green beans
And Doris, of course, her beloved Schaum Torte 
I played the Hammond Chord Organ
Everyone sang “Silent Night”
And “We Three Kings of Orient Are”
(My terrible singing voice actually sounded much better than usual) 
Soon my grandfather, aunts and uncles, and cousins arrived
Uncle Ralph brought perfume samples from the drugstore
Uncle Karl, elegant gifts for the ladies
Family friends too
The O’Haras, the St. Peters, the Worths, the Caleys
So warm, so thankful
We opened family gifts
Steven got a BB gun
Vicki, a baby rabbit 
Finally we all drifted off to sleep
Ready for Santa’s visit 
It was the best Christmas ever 




1 comment: