Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Hunkering Down



Dear George,
It’s a beautiful spring day in Cincinnati.  Sunny, temps in the mid-60s.  I was much too warm wearing my sweatshirt when I went out earlier.  For the most part, our street scene looks normal.  Dog walkers, joggers, families with baby carriages, old folks carrying groceries.  Invisible to the eye, however, is the horrendous threat which confronts our nation and the world at large.  

Like many places, we are under a Stay at Home order in Ohio.  Because Katja and I are retired, this is less disruptive and life-changing than it is for many people.  We enjoy being home and have lots of things to do.  We’ve watched favorite shows on TV; I’ve been doing some felt pen drawing and poetry writing; Katja is cooking up a storm.  Ventures to CVS or our neighborhood grocery store feel more hazardous, and we wash our hands frequently and disinfect our doorknobs.  

J and his family have gone from New Orleans to Northern California where K’s sister lives, and they will be there for some unknown period of time.  J drove up to Cincinnati first with their two doggies, Iko and Li’l Paws, and we enjoy having their company.  The dogs are lying at my side as I type this, apparently content to be in our household.      

I have no idea whether or not Katja and I will come down with this infection, nor, if we do, how serious it will be.  The same goes for our nation, our community, our loved ones.  There’s just so much uncertainty, and I have no idea whether our lives will return to normal.   We are simply going to do the best we can.  I do plan to stay busy with my blog.  Our thoughts are with all our family and friends.
Love,
Dave 




No comments:

Post a Comment