Saturday, September 5, 2020

Where I've Gone To


Dear George,

I can’t remember the exact date, but it appears that I died in my sleep about six months ago.  When I woke I found myself in Purgatory, and I’ve been here ever since.  This is a curious place.  For one thing, my new domicile is an exact replica of my former house on earth, right down to the dustballs on the dining room floor.  When I take a walk outside, the streets also look exactly the same, and there are other dead souls walking about, some with dogs on leashes.  We all cover our faces with masks to avoid revealing our earthly identities, and we maximize our distance so that we don’t contaminate one another’s souls.  


Purgatory, of course, is the temporary stopover for purification of the soul before one potentially enters The Good Place.  Suffering, it’s believed, is the very heart of the purification process.  Here in Purgatory suffering is mainly caused by the elimination of all worldly pleasures and pursuits.  Theater, art, music, museums, restaurants, sports, social gatherings, etc., etc.  The older one is, the more deprivation is called for.  Locked in social isolation, one is forced to focus on their personal history of misdeeds and indiscretions.  In my case suffering is further enhanced by something called Polymyalgia Rheumatica.  This is a condition in which I wake each morning with every muscle in my body stiff and aching.  The pain gradually dissipates over the course of the day, but then it begins all over again the next morning.  Unpleasant as it sounds, this clearly aids in purification.  


I will be staying here in Purgatory until it’s time for The Final Judgment.  My chances of The Good Place vs. The Bad Place are about 50-50.  While Purgatory is not that desirable, I hope to stick with it for a while.  it may prove to be better than the alternative.

Love,

Dave   



No comments:

Post a Comment