Monday, December 18, 2023

LOST MENOMINEE


               



Dear George, 
According to Thomas Wolfe, “You can’t go home again” — truly a paradox since we tend to regard home as the safe place we can always return to. Wolfe reminds us that change is an ever-present feature of reality. In effect, the world we return to is never the same as it used to be and we ourselves have inevitably changed as well. Still, “going home” remains emotionally powerful because it involves reconnection with one’s past, if only through one’s memories. 

I left my home town for college when I turned 18. While I wasn’t to be a full-time resident again, I’ve visited regularly over the years. In certain ways Menominee is exactly the same as it was in the 1950’s. The magnificent natural environment is unchanged, with the town’s southern border stretching along the Menominee River and its eastern border along the Green Bay shoreline. The three auto bridges to Wisconsin are in place. The layout of streets is identical, and virtually all of the buildings are the same. And many of the important landmarks remain, e.g., the courthouse, the library, the marina, the Presbyterian Church. I made a list of 70 important places in my youth. About a third of them are still there. Ten have relocated to other parts of town or to Marinette across the river, e.g., the hospital, the newspaper, my high school. But over half of the significant places of my youth are gone. Thinking about these losses, I decided to poetically commemorate some of Menominee’s places that no longer exist. Here are some of them. 
Love, 
Dave

THE OFFICE SUPPLY STORE 
Age four, Mom took me to the store 
A pencil, an eraser, sometimes more 
Ogden Ave, a long walk 
I don’t think we’d talk 
Talk or not, this trip made my heart soar 

BOSWELL GRADE SCHOOL 
Boswell kindergarten, my very first job 
A nervous twit, I was scared of the mob 
I walked there with Sally 
My five-year old pally 
Temp zero, we peanuts would sob 

WASHINGTON GRADE SCHOOL 
First grade, begin Washington, downtown 
Thrilling times there on the playground 
Playing boys chase the girls 
All racing in whirls 
When the bell rang, Teach said to calm down 

THE LLOYD THEATER 
The Lloyd, my very first movie at night 
“Meet Me in St. Louis” — such delight 
Margaret O’Brien, so swell 
Judy Garland, a sweet belle 
I now was a big kid all right 

THE A&P GROCERY 
The A&P carried yummy things to eat 
Creamy pastries, avocados, fatty hamburger meat 
We were often low on cash 
So my mom would make hash 
But some days she’d buy me a treat 

G.I. SURPLUS 
G.I. Surplus was my favorite store 
Selling gas masks, machetes, and more 
I’d buy camping gear there 
Khaki mittens to wear 
And the gadgets we used to play war 

THE IDEAL DAIRY 
The Ideal on the west edge of town 
Open daily from dawn to sundown 
Two dips for a nickel 
Cheaper than a pickle 
Their lemon flake cones, we’d melt down 

THE MENOMINEE HOTEL 
The hotel was right on the Bay 
Known by travelers as a fine place to stay 
Our glee club sang there 
For the Lions Club’s fare 
I can still hum those tunes to this day 

ST. JOHN’S CATHOLIC CHURCH 
The O’s would take me to Sunday mass 
A ritual, for sure, of high class 
Our family weren’t Catholics 
At best Lutheran mavericks 
But I hoped for a heavenly pass 

THE FIVE AND DIME STORE 
The Five and Dime if you wanted a deal 
My Christmas gifts, they were a steal 
Red ribbons for my mother 
A cap gun for my brother 
And the Topps baseball cards were surreal 

THE SMELT RUN 
The smelt run arrived every spring 
Huge nets our fishermen would bring 
We would wade in the river 
Though the cold made us shiver 
Then we voted for the queen and the king 

THE MENOMINEE THEATER 
The Menominee was near to the Bay 
Saturdays, the kids’ matinee 
They charged just one dime 
For a rowdy fun time 
Charlie Chan was the best, I would say 

THE D.A.R. BOYS CLUB 
I’d go to the DAR after school 
Pick and I played a few games of pool 
Then basketball with Jack 
Who could dribble behind his back 
For aspiring pros it was cool 

ST. JOSEPH-LLOYD HOSPITAL 
We started life at St. Joseph-Lloyd Hospital 
And returned once or twice when still little 
Steven busted his arm 
Which we viewed with alarm 
But they sculpted his cast, made him fittle 

UNCLE KENT’S REXALL DRUGSTORE 
Uncle Kent’s store was right on the Square 
School days, my brother and I would lunch there 
Read the new comic books 
Batman battling the crooks 
The tuna fish sandwiches, just fair 

COONEY’S GAS STATION 
Harry Cooney’s was also on the Square 
We filled up the Lincoln right there 
But they forgot to check the oil 
Caused the engine to boil 
Cost my dad a major repair 

CITY BUS 
The city bus circled the Loop 
Friday nights for Rick and his group 
They’d flirt with the gals 
Fool around with their pals 
Tell the driver the latest teen scoop 
 
PRODUCERS DAIRY 
Producers Dairy on Sheridan Road 
Three blocks from our family abode 
I’d stop by from school 
Chocolate chip made me drool 
But butterscotch, I would explode 

M&M BREWERY 
The Brewery made Silver Cream beer 
A golden brew that fostered much cheer 
I knew guys who drank Silver Cream 
Mostly dudes on the football team 
But myself and my group had beer fear 

THE VOGUE 
The Vogue was my mother’s favorite store 
For dresses and hats and much more 
Not as fancy as Green Bay 
But it didn’t take all day 
Plus she always found something she wore 

THE GATEWAY CAFE 
The Gateway. our teenage hangout 
Near the hospital, right on our route 
A grilled cheese and French fries 
Chocolate malts for the guys 
Football nights, we would give out a shout 

GARBELL’S SODA SHOP 
Garbell’s, across from M.H.S. 
A retreat from academic stress 
Pinball in the rear 
We would gather round and cheer 
Earl Powell, pinball king, such finesse 

FOUND MENOMINEE 
True, my world’s no longer there 
But change is a curious affair 
New restaurants, new shops 
Many interesting stops 
Menominee still has its flair

No comments:

Post a Comment