Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Three Poems From Childhood




Dear George,
I’ve been busy this autumn quarter with my OLLI writing courses, “Poetry Writing Workshop” and “Advanced Poetry Writing”.  This helps to keep blood flowing in my brain.  Childhood experiences are one topic I regularly draw upon.  Here are a few that stood out to me.
Love,
Dave

A Boy’s Dream  

Every Sunday my Grandpa Guy
gave me a new tin soldier
Heroes of heroes, strong and brave
with their rifles, bazookas, Tommy guns, swords
Only five, I soon commanded a mighty army
a force capable of defeating the Nazis
We fought fierce battles for hours on end 

Then one day my parents
took me to a restaurant 
where the owners had on display
an incredible machine
enclosed in a glass case 
Hundreds of inter-connected parts
moving together up and down
back and forth 
whirling about in circles
I watched as if hypnotized 
and daydreamed about it for weeks afterward 
If only I could find the right metal pieces
I could surely build a machine like that

Everywhere I went 
I watched for scraps of metal 
Then the idea came to me 
My tin soldiers
All those heads, arms, legs
So many little metal pieces
I could break them off
fit them together
and use them to build my machine
The hardest decision I’d ever faced
I did love my tin soldiers
But I loved that machine more than anything 

Alone by myself in Grandpa’s living room
I threw the tin soldiers as hard as I could
against the flowered wallpaper
but they were too solid to break
So I got Grandpa’s hammer
and smashed every one of them into pieces 
I spread the parts out on the rug
and began putting them together
These two, no those two
maybe these other ones 
A sudden uneasiness
Then panic  
Then total devastation
None of the pieces fit together 
Not a single pair
My world came crashing down
What was I thinking? 
What had I done?  
The pile of broken limbs and torsos lay before me
I tried putting the soldiers back together
but that didn’t work either 
I cried for hours

Fifty years later I told my dad
about my idea of building a machine 
He was incredulous
“We thought you hated your grandfather”
No, that’s not right
I loved my grandfather
I just had a wrong idea

* * *

Stuff We Learned As Boys 

I did my childhood in the 1940s
World War Two and its aftermath 
My dad left our family for the Navy 
But I still learned a lot about being a man
The major lesson
Men either kill or get killed 
We observed this, of course, in the Movietone News 
Ships sinking, planes on fire, corpses in a trench 
But also at the Saturday matinee
Swordsmen, gangsters, pirates 
G-men, Apaches, pygmies with poison darts   

We children spent our leisure hours playing military games 
Or cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians
I owned a six-shooter, a luger, a .45, a rifle with a bayonet
A hunting knife, a jackknife, a Bowie knife, a machete
Loads of cap pistols, water pistols, a machine gun that shot ping pong balls 
Not to mention my bow and arrows

When we weren’t busy shooting at each other
We played contact sports
Basketball, football, boxing, wrestling
Determining who could triumph over whom
Who were winners, who were losers
Men, we concluded, don’t show emotion
Tough guys dish out pain and can take it
Being weak is the worst sin of all

Looking back, this was not ideal preparation 
for marriage, family, parenthood, friendship
Perhaps it was useful for pro football or the army

* * *

The Time That God Nearly Passed the Test

My family wasn’t very churchy
so I depended on my childhood chums
for my religious upbringing
Mostly Catholic 
they taught me about the saints
the ten commandments
errant priests and altar boys
rituals of the Mass 
and, of course, Heaven and Hell
I wound up confused
in doubt of God’s existence
even though my chums told me 
I was wacko 
and in danger of burning for all eternity.

One day
I decided to settle the matter
once and for all 
I shuffled a deck of Bicycle playing cards
closed my eyes
and said aloud
“God, if you exist
prove it to me by 
letting me draw
the six of clubs.”  
I held my breath
pulled a card at random from the deck 
turned it over slowly
and stared at……..
The Six of Clubs!
Probably the heavens thundered
blazing lights, the sound of trumpets.
I broke into a sweat.
Disoriented
barely able to breathe. 

After an hour of stupefaction
I picked up the deck of cards again. 
“God,” I said, “I have to give
you one more test.
Just to be sure. 
If you let me draw the nine of hearts
I will absolutely believe in you forever.   
I promise.”
Then I drew the card
held my breath
turned it over anxiously
and…..it was not the nine of hearts.  
“That’s it,” I said to myself.  
“Nobody there.” 
But later I reconsidered. 
Perhaps He was insulted
and felt it beneath Him 
to continue going along with a 
thirteen-year-old boy’s reckless whims.  
“I proved Myself to you 
when you asked Me
and you chose not to believe 
the word of God.
So be it.”  
From time to time 
I still wonder about that.  
Whatever the case, it was certainly 
a peak religious moment
and it did make me think about miracles.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment