Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Tis the Season...


Dear George, 
Christmas brings back lots of memories.  Here are some photos that my dad took to commemorate the occasion during our growing up years in the 1940’s and 50’s.    



Here are my siblings, Peter, Vicki, and Steven on the living room window seat at river house.  Steven is very happy with his fine new cowboy outfit, Vicki’s in good spirits, and Peter is absorbed with a Christmas toy.  



We loved getting toys from Santa — here an Action Target Game — and new playthings kept us absorbed for weeks and months on end.  



A model train was about as magnificent as one could imagine.  Engineers are Steve, myself, and Peter (looking bewitched).  



Christmas was the main annual occasion for our extended family get-together with my cousins, aunts, and uncles.  This photo is from about 1958.  The back row from the left: Steven, myself, Vicki, my cousin Thor, my Uncle Kent, and Peter.  In the front my cousins Kurt and Stewart in vests (I’m not sure which is which), my cousin Ann, my cousin John at the far right.  Great excitement for the kids.




Here is another pic of cousins: Thor, Johnny, Peter. myself as Santa holding Ann, Steven, Vicki, and one of our Irish Setters, probably Micky.   



A festive occasion for the adults too.  Twin brothers Karl (at the left) and Kent, Aunt Millie (Kent’s wife), and their son Thor.  Karl was a bachelor, and he showered family members with grand presents.  Fancy gowns for the women one year and an atomic energy kit for me. 



My parents had a wonderful friendship group, and there were lots of house-to-house visits during the holiday season.  These are the O’Hara’s in our front yard: Michael, Jean, Kiera, Terry, Michael Dennis, and, covering his eyes, Patrick Sean.



We also visited lots of friends.  The Caleys at Northwood Cove had a wonderful igloo which we were never able to duplicate at our house.  Steve and Tom Caley are on the roof; I’m on the ground.



Our house on the river was a grand place to celebrate the holiday season.

Love,
Dave 


No comments:

Post a Comment