Monday, March 14, 2011

From the Tsunami [A Letter from my Family]


Hi David...

Today, I was awakened by two phone calls around 7 a.m. about the expected tsunami aimed toward the Santa Cruz harbor at 8 am. I'd forgotten I was scheduled to be at the office at 8:30....scrambled to dress, took a last peek at my house and went off to work.


While events on the ocean front were uncertain for some time - what with irregular swells, roads blocked off, etc., it seemed that once again we'd been spared a natural disaster.


I remember back in the early 80's with 3 young children, our family received news of a coming tsunami due to a massive earthquake in Alaska (?). George was doing a headstand in the living room, he eventually rolled into a sitting position and suggested we all head down to the beach to see the wave action. I was aghast. I marched the children into the car (it was evening and dark out) and headed for the mountains. Sensible I thought.

George was somehow always full of surprises although his behavior and belief systems were consistent throughout his lifetime. I have no memory of the rest of that night.


As you may recall, George was in Japan during the '89 earthquake and was very pleased to have been interviewed on the major news channels there as a Santa Cruzan. Arriving home, he'd no idea what had really gone on for everybody and was most eager to tell of his adventures in the East. The funny thing is that I suspect if he'd been here, the whole event would scarcely have phased him in any case.


Two nights ago I had a major nightmare about being in a small boat on the crest of a tsunami wave. Peter would've appreciated this synchronicity. You'll probably be amused by the fact that my friend Mandy and I had just signed up for a 3-day $300 workshop on the Lexington Reservoir starting this very afternoon to learn the art of ocean rowing. What I especially appreciated was that the name of the workshop was "Calm Waters". We had a great afternoon on the reservoir. Meanwhile, the SC harbor suffered at least $17 million in damages. Our boating dock washed away, several skulls were smashed, UCSC lost all of its little sailboats and well.....who has time for depression and anxiety when life is so full of adventure?

Love, V


G-Mail Comments

-Kiera O (3-14): Hello--it's Kiera here. Thanks, Terry. I'm glad and very relieve that no major destruction came to Santa Cruz. I continue to be sorely sad for the people in Japan who took the big hit. Especially I'm worried about the nuclear situation. It seems like the cruelest of ironies that once again Japan finds itself in danger of contamination. Interesting what V wrote about George's visit to Japan, (and, wow, about the dreams.)

love, Kiera

No comments:

Post a Comment