This is a personal blog about lots of topics, e.g., dogs, family, retirement, childhood, life in the U.P., humor. The George in the title is my dear brother-in-law George Levenson, husband, father, grandfather, brother, filmmaker, who left us prematurely on his 63rd birthday in 2007. His having been my favorite e-mail correspondent, I intend these stories as a tribute to George and his ever-present impact on his loved ones.
According to an article in “It Happened in Menominee,” the Dreamland Theater, located at 2623 13th St., was Menominee’s first move theater in the early 1900’s. The building had previously been Kartheiser’s Sash and Door Works, but was turned into a movie house by Frank Kartheiser when the mill moved across the street. Films were rented from the Bijou Theater in Marinette, and an orchestra played background music. Dreamland offered films three or four nights a week during its two-year existence. Adults paid a dime, kids a nickel. (Source: “Dreamland,” pp. 78-79 in “It Happened in Menominee”)
We’ve lost our tiny minds to Netflix
From watching those thousands of pics
Katja eats up the mysteries
And craves British histories
While I go for movies with chicks
Jan 12, 2002
New Year’s Eve
Dear Dave & Katja -
It was a tough day at the ranch, but I survived. Soon we will be meeting at the wedding & will be going uptown to the New Year. I’m excited. Have you made your arrangement. Email me the details! This is all about ourselves and family and fun. Surely all the above count.
1. Go to bed and get up about the same time every day.
2. Don’t eat or drink large amounts before bedtime.
3. Avoid nicotine, caffeine, and alcohol in the evening.
4. Exercise regularly (though not right before bedtime).
5. Make your bedroom cool, dark, quiet, and comfortable.
6. Sleep primarily at night. Limit daytime naps to about a half hour in midafternoon.
7. Have a comfortable bed. Set limits on pets sleeping with you.
8. Start a relaxing bedtime routine, e.g., a warm shower, book, listening to soothing music.
9. Go to bed when you’re tired and turn out the lights. If you don’t fall asleep in 20 minutes, get up and do something else until you’re tired.
10. Use sleeping pills only as a last resort. Never mix alcohol and sleeping pills.
The Junebugs came out after sunset
They’d visit, of course, in late June
They made a huge racket on our window screens
Busy mating by the light of the moon
The Durrells in Corfu. 8 Sun PBS
Poldark. 9 Sun PBS
The Collection. 10 Sun PBS
Ten Days in the Valley. 10 Sun ABC
Good Behavior. 10 Sun TNT
Curb Your Enthusiasm. 10 Sun HBO
Inside the NFL. 9 Tues SHO
American Horror Story. 10 Tues FX
Designated Survivor. 10 Wed ABC
Will & Grace. 8 Thurs NBC
The Good Place. 8:30 Thurs NBC
The Exorcist. 9 Fri FOX