This is a personal blog about lots of topics, e.g., dogs, family, retirement, childhood, life in the U.P., humor. The George in the title is my dear brother-in-law George Levenson, husband, father, grandfather, brother, filmmaker, who left us prematurely on his 63rd birthday in 2007. His having been my favorite e-mail correspondent, I intend these stories as a tribute to George and his ever-present impact on his loved ones.
Rupert the fox
Wears pink and blue socks
He thinks he’s a fashion plate
The squirrels make fun
They call Rupert homespun
Though Rupert says he’s looking great
Wild strawberries grew in the forest
Their fruit, just so tasty to eat
We’d pick them on trips to Pig Island
Sit back and enjoy a sweet treat
· The state of Michigan’s name comes from the lake itself, deriving from the Ojibwe word “michi-gami” (meaning “great water”).
· Lake Michigan is the 5th largest freshwater lake in the world. With a surface area of 22,300 square miles, Lake Michigan is larger than Massachusetts, Maryland, and Delaware combined.
· Jean Nicolet in the 1630’s was the first European explorer to reach Lake Michigan.
· 12 million people live along the Lake Michigan shoreline, including residents of Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Gary, and Muskegon.
· In 1860 Lake Michigan was the site of the first Big Great Lakes disasters in which a steamer carrying 600 people collided with a schooner carrying timber, with the resultant loss of 450 lives.
· Lake Michigan contains a “triangle” between Benton Harbor, Ludington, and Manitowoc where many strange disappearances of ships and airplanes have occurred and where UFO sightings have been reported.
· In 2003 Ironman athlete Jim Dreyer swam the full 422-mile length of Lake Michigan.
Counterpart. 8 Sun STARZ
Victoria. 9 Sun PBS
The Alienist. 9 Mon TNT
Inside the NFL. 9 Tues SHO
The Vikings. 9 Wed HIST
Waco. 10 Wed PARAM
The Assassination of G. Versace. 10 Wed FX
Will & Grace. 8 Thurs NBC
The Good Place. 8:30 Thurs NBC