Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Black Beauty



Dear George,
In my Poetry Writing Workshop we were given an assignment to write a love poem about a physical object.  I struggled to find a topic.  I thought about our new Smart TV, my blue tent, my camera, my Fitbit, etc., but none of them evoked a level of emotion called for by the task.  Then I let my mind wander back to childhood, and I started thinking about my and my friends’ bikes when we were growing up in Menominee.  Talk about love for an object.  Here is my story in rhyme.  There’s some occasional poetic license, but, for the most part, it’s a true story.
Love,
Dave

          Black Beauty 

Childhood, overall, is a dreary affair
They make you do stuff you don’t like 
But there also is stuff that is happy
And the best of that stuff is one’s bike

I got my new bike when I turned eleven 
A handsome fantastic black Schwinn
I gave him the name of Black Beauty
The day that we took our first spin

Your life leaps ahead when you get a new bike 
It’s then you become a big kid
You’re free as a lark, can cruise all over town
That’s just what Black Beauty and I did

This bike was jet black with solid white stripes 
Its frame, all-American steel 
Heavy duty tires and strong inner tubes
With its light mounted on the front wheel 

I’d had kiddie bikes for years before this
But Black Beauty was at least twice as fast
This bike was designed to fight Nazis
Or escape from a horrible blast 

We neighborhood kids formed our bicycle gang 
There was Skipper and Sammy and Frank 
We stormed down the street like a posse 
And riled old Murphy, that crank

Skipper was the tallest and strongest
He’d win nearly all of our races
But Black Beauty would often take second
He put the whole group through its paces

A year later we moved to the country
My school was three miles away 
Our rough gravel road, such a challenge
But Beauty was up to the fray 

After school I’d stop by the Dairy
And buy a three-dip chocolate cone
I’d ride no-handsies eating ice cream 
Black Beauty could steer on his own

Sometimes I’d venture to town after dark
The graveyard was off to the right 
I felt my heart pound as I watched for a ghost 
Beauty stepped up the speed of our flight 

Peter J. was my brother Steven’s best friend
His folks had returned from abroad
They’d brought him a new bike from England 
A bike that, to me, seemed most odd

Peter was skinny and his bike was too
It was made of aluminum, not steel
There were three different gears — who’d heard of that? 
And a flimsy thin tire on each wheel  

“You’ll never beat Nazis with that bike,” I said 
Peter smiled, then suggested we race 
Four years younger, a pint-sized kid  
Black Beauty would put him in his place

I proposed that we race for fifteen cents 
But Peter came up with one dime
“A dime it is,” I said with a wink 
A ridiculous bet, such a crime

We staked out a course on north State Street
Three blocks to the corner of Kirby
My brother called the start, “One-Two-Three — GO!!!”
We were off, like the Peshtigo Derby 

Much to my shock, Peter pulled out in front
That English bike, quicker than quick 
I pedaled Black Beauty as hard as I could
But we still couldn’t pull off the trick  

Peter won that race by a good forty yards
The boys laughed, they thought it so funny 
Deep in my heart Black Beauty was best
But, morosely, I gave him my money

In less than a year all the new bikes in town
Were English bikes made for top speed 
Black Beauty, to my friends, was a relic 
An ancient though venerable steed 

The years have passed since my last ride home 
Black Beauty now lives in bike heaven
But all those adventures stay fresh in my mind
It’s a special time, turning eleven 



1 comment: