Saturday, March 24, 2018

It's a Dog's Life




“It’s a dog’s life,” I said to my wife
“I’d love to do something like that”
My wife thought it best to let sleeping dogs lie
Although later she gave me a pat

The next day at dawn I was working like a dog
Digging holes and burying my bones
Who said you can’t teach an old dog new tricks
A dog’s life, so full of unknowns

By day’s end I’d gotten dog tired
The dog house was out in the back
I went in, lay down, and slept like a dog
I dreamt I was out with my pack

“I’d like to run with the big dogs,” I said 
So I went for a jaunt down the street
I was happy as a dog with two tails
Who’d been given a beef jerky treat

I met a cute Yorkie down by the lake
Her puppy dog eyes caused me to sweat
We jumped off the dock, did the doggie paddle
There’s life in the old dog yet

 These were truly the dog days of summer
A respite from the dog eats dog world
Every dog has their day, I would have to say
I stretched out with my tail unfurled

But then a Pit Bull started hounding me
He was meaner than a junk yard dog
“You’re barking up the wrong tree,” I said
I turned tail and left for a jog

I trotted back home to my family
Who were fighting like cats and dogs
I gave them my dog and pony show
Then I barked a few dog monologues

Hot diggity dog, I was glad to be home
“Dogs”, my mom noted, “are man’s best friend”
This, of course, was a shaggy dog story
Though mom’s love is best in the end

Upset with my absence, my wife got quite crabby
She said now I was in her doghouse
She added, “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you”
I’m rarely top dog with my spouse

So that is the story of my life as a dog
Each day I just roam about town
For years it appeared I was going to the dogs
But they can’t keep a good dog down



No comments:

Post a Comment