Monday, August 19, 2013

Zoo Flora



Dear George,
People talk so often about the “Cincinnati Zoo” that we usually forget that its full name is the “Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden.”  While the zoo is home to over 500 animal species, it’s also home to over 3,000 plant species.  It’s one of only two accredited botanical gardens in Ohio, and it’s the only facility of its kind in the world to do research on both endangered animals and endangered plants.  Various zoo areas simulate tropical rainforests, Florida swamps, an African savanna, and the native eastern woodlands. Specialty display gardens include the Butterfly Garden, the Food Garden (e.g., coffee, banana, and chocolate trees), the African Violet Display, the Rain Garden, and the Native Plant Garden. I was taking pictures the other day when a zoo volunteer walked by and asked me what I was photographing.  “The zoo flora,” I replied.  “Oh,” she said, “I knew I didn’t see an animal there.”  Most customers take photos of the animals and/or their children, but the plants deserve their attention too.  Here are just a few of the many beauties.
Love,
Dave



































































































































G-Mail Comments
Linda C (8-20): David, I wish you would enter these to be published . I don't think I've seen a more beautiful group of flora ever. Just beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment