Thursday, August 27, 2015
A Menominee Trivia Quiz
My sister and I have a stronger home town attachment than practically anybody else I know. I’m not sure just why. Maybe it’s because we grew up in a small town in the U.P. In any case, home towns are important, providing the world of opportunities that help shape who one becomes as a person. Recently I’ve been assembling information on Menominee, and I’ve organized it here in the form of 36 “trivia questions”. Some are easy, some are hard. For persons who grew up in Menominee, I think a score of 30 would be excellent and 25 would be very good. Had I not made the quiz up, I think I would have scored about 23. I wonder what other natives and expatriates might do. (Note: The answer key is given at the end.)
1. What does “Menominee” mean in the Ojibwe language?
a. River mouth
b. White pines
c. Wild rice
d. Home of the sturgeon
2. Menominee is located exactly halfway between:
a. Ohio and Minnesota
b. Milwaukee and Green Bay
c. Lake Huron and Lake Michigan
d. the North Pole and the Equator
3. How many streets does the city of Menominee have?
4. The most common national ancestry in Menominee is:
5. Menominee’s population reached its peak in:
6. Which religious denomination has the most adherents in Menominee?
7. How many acres of parks are there in Menominee?
8. The M&M brewery produced _____ beer.
a. Pure Lake
b. Grizzly Bear
c. Great White North
d. Silver Cream
9. The oldest church in Menominee, dedicated in 1869, is the:
a. First United Methodist Church
b. First Presbyterian Church
c. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
d. Emmanuel Lutheran Church
10. In which of the following categories is Menominee significantly below the average for the state of Michigan?
b. Foreign-born population
c. Hispanic population
d. All of these
e. None of these
11. How many state championships have the Menominee Maroons football team won in their division since 1998?
12. If you wanted to have a Wabash for lunch, you would go to:
a. Schloegels Bay View Restaurant
b. Berg’s Landing
c. Jozwiak’s Bar & Grill
d. The Downtown Sandwich and Ice Cream Shop
13. Menominee’s summer Concert in the Park series is held on which evening?
14. If you went to a movie in Menominee in 1950 you would have gone to either:
a. the Fox or the Roxy
b. the Lloyd or the Menominee
c. the Bijou or the Strand
d. the Mariner or the Waterfront
15. How many vehicles cross the Interstate Bridge between Menominee and Marinette each day?
16. The current mayor of Menominee is:
a. Jean Berggren
b. Jean Chaltry
c. Jean Stegeman
d. Jean Wilcomming
17. Menominee exceeds the national average in:
a. Low health care costs
b. Water quality
c. Air quality
d. All of these
e. None of these
18. In 2012 who received the most votes for President in Menominee?
a. Barack Obama
b. Mitt Romney
19. Percentage-wise, which occupation is more common in the city of Menominee than in the state of Michigan as a whole?
20. The last log drive on the Menominee River was held in:
21. What proportion of adults (25 & over) in Menominee have a bachelor’s degree or higher?
22. The largest employer in Menominee is:
a. L.E. Jones Co.
b. Lloyd/Flanders Industries
c. Angeli Foods
d. Enstrom Helicopter Corp.
23. In the 1940's the Lloyd Building in downtown Menominee was occupied by the:
a. A & P Grocery Store
b, Menominee Glove Company
c. Montgomery Ward department store
d. All of these
e. None of these
24. According to Tripadvisor (as well as most people we know), the number one restaurant in Menominee is:
a. Lighthouse Grill & Diner
b. La Cabana Mexican Restaurant
c. Berg’s Landing
d. Thai Cuisine
25. In a recent year there were 536 violent crimes per 100,000 people in the state of Michigan. In Menominee the rate was ___ violent crimes per 100,000.
26. Menominee High School ranks in the top ___ in the state of Michigan.
27. The local radio station in the twin cities of Menominee and Marinette is:
28. Which railroad historically served Menominee and Marinette?
a. Wisconsin Great Northern
b. Green Bay and Milwaukee Line
c. St. Paul and Minneapolis Railway
d. Chicago and Northwestern
29. Does Menominee have more churches or bars?
a. More churches
b. More bars
30. Which of these Menominee County attractions is located in the city of Menominee?
a. The DeYoung Family Zoo
b. The North Pier Lighthouse
c. The J. W. Wells State Park
d. The Chip-In Casino
31. Compared to the state of Michigan as a whole, Menominee County ranks higher than average in:
a. Adult obesity
b. Adults reporting poor or fair health
c. Sexually transmitted diseases
d. Excessive drinking
32. The wettest month of the year in Menominee is:
33. The most common last name of deceased Menominee residents is:
34. Menominee County ranks above average for all Michigan counties in:
b. adult obesity
c. alcohol-impaired driving deaths
d. all of these
e. none of these
35. The Babela Master Circuit, held in Menominee in 2005, 2008, and 2009, involves:
36. The website Niche ranked Menominee #32 among 56 Michigan towns and cities in terms of the best towns in Michigan to raise a family. Among the following dimensions, Menominee ranked highest (i.e., most favorably) in:
a. Access to Day Care
b. Access to Grocery Stores
c. Crime and Safety
I hope you had fun and did well. The answers are below.
www.bestplaces.net, “Menominee, Michigan”;
www.books.google.com, E.S. Ingalls, “Centennial History of Menominee County”;
www.city-data.com, “Menominee, Michigan”;
www.countyhealthrankings.org, “Menominee (MM)”;
www.local.niche.com, "Best Towns to Raise a Family in Michigan”;
www.mandmchamber.com, “Quality of life”;
www.menomineecounty.com, “Menominee County”;
www.nationalbridges.com, “National Bridge Inventory Database Search”;
www.mm regionalguide.com, “Menominee – Marinette Regional Guide”;
www.statisticalatlas.com, “Menominee, Michigan (City);
www.usa.com, “Menominee, MI”;
www.wikipedia.org, “Menominee, Michigan”
1.c. “Menominee” means “wild rice”.
2.d. Halfway between the North Pole and the Equator.
3.a. Menominee has 84 streets.
4.d. 28.9% of residents report German ancestry, followed by French (8.2%), Irish (7.7%), Polish (7.6%), and Swedish (6.0%).
5.a. Menominee’s population was 12,818 in 1900; 10,320 in 1930; 11,289 in 1960; 9,398 in 1990.
6.a. Catholics are highest (63%), followed by Lutherans (22%, Methodists (3%), and Presbyterians (2%).
7.d. There are 130 acres of parks in Menominee.
8.d. Silver Cream beer.
9.b. The First Presbyterian Church is oldest.
10.d. All of these — below average in unemployment, foreign-born, Hispanic (see city-data.com).
11.c. Three division state football championships.
12.c. Jozwiak’s sells The Wabash.
13.b. Concerts in the Park are on Thursday evenings.
14.b. The Lloyd and the Menominee were Menominee’s movie theaters in the 1950’s.
15.d. 20,760 vehicles cross the Interstate Bridge daily. (see national bridges.com)
16.c. Jean Stegeman is Menominee’s current mayor.
17.d. All of these — above average in low health care costs, water and air quality.
18.b. Romney received 51% of votes; Obama, 48%.
19.d. Production occupations are above average; the others, below average.
20.c. Menominee’s last log drive was held in 1917.
21.a. 17% of adults have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
22.a. L.E. Jones is Menominee’s largest employer.
23.d. All of these — A&P, Menominee Glove, Montgomery Ward.
24.c. Berg’s Landing is rated number one, followed by the Serving Spoon Cafe, the Ogden Club, and Schloegel’s Bay View Restaurant.
25.a. Violent crime rate of 117 per 100,000, about 22% of the state average.
26.b. Menominee High School is ranked at the 47th percentile in the state.
27.b. WMAM is the local radio station.
28.d. The Chicago and Northwestern railroad ran through Menominee and Marinette.
29.a. Menominee has more churches (17) than bars (8).
30.b. The North Pier Lighthouse is located in the city.
31.d. Menominee County ranks above the state average in excessive drinking (20% report heavy or binge drinking vs. 18% state-wide). (see countyhealthrankings.org)
32.d. June is the wettest month.
33.b. Johnson is the most common name. Anderson is second; Smith is third.
34.d. All of these — smoking, obesity, alcohol-impaired driving deaths. (see countyhealthrankings.org)
35.a. The Babela Master Circuit is a fishing tournament.
36.c. Menominee was most favorable in “Crime and Safety”.