Friday, February 26, 2010

Letter from Linda C: Why I Love My Iphone the Best

                Linda & Baby V (JML photo, 1-10)

                         


Dear Dave,

 

Well I love love the Internet, and since I moved to CA without my friends I love it even more.  When I was in bed most of the time for almost a month I really really loved it.  I love facebook, have never been on twitter, have been getting blogs (well only yours actually), getting photos and on flickr which you sent to me recently, but ...................

 

I am starting to love my Iphone even more.  I can take it in my pocket, I have lots of applications on it, and of course I can google anything, and push a button for any thing I want to know.  Now I know it is a little expensive, but really, at our age, how can it hurt to have some little toy, and since you have saved money at the Goodwill all these years I think you deserve it.  Also, I decided when I got mine, I was not going to be an old fuddy duddy and not let the kids use it.  And it is not really so expensive considering the wonderful hours of pleasure it brings me.  So I have games and music on it for the boys and Baby V loves loves to play with it.  That might cause you to cringe.  I might imagine it would have bothered Art, but she loves it and did somehow get a crack in it.  But if you’re stupid enough to let an 18 month old play with it, then don't complain.

 

So an Iphone is so different from the old plain Net, and much more fun and really I love to take it to bed and turn on some old NPR stories I wanted to hear just before I go to sleep… And then also, it is a bargaining tool for Ben and Theo -- yes , you may use my Iphone to play games it you do such and such.  That actually might work for Katja too since if she doesn't have an Iphone she will want to use yours.

 

So I say, get rid of that computer, use your Iphone, and no one will notice.  Yesterday I was stopped at a light in San Francisco and I started to text.  Now we have a state law that says no talking or texting when driving, but I was stopped at the red light.

 

I then saw a red flashing light, and saw a cop pointing at my texting, so I rolled down the window and he said to pull around the corner.

 

He was very sweet and young and came to the window and said, "Why do you think I stopped you?" and I said,  "Oh, I know, I am so sorry, I have always been confused if I can text or talk at a red light, but I bet I can't and that is why you stopped me, I am so sorry."

 

Officer: "Can you think of another reason I might have stopped you?"

 

Me: "No, not really."

 

Officer: "Well your registration date on your license plate is 8 months overdue" (actually I knew that).

 

Me: "Are you serious?  I just moved here from Michigan and there you change it on your birthday and now that I think about it my husband's birthday was March 13, and he died April 3rd so I think I just forgot it, now that is serious."

 

Officer: "And I looked it up and you haven't even been online to start doing it online.  Now a CHIP would tow your car right now but I am not going to do that."

 

Me:  "Thank you for not towing it, but what is a CHIP?"  (I know damn well what a CHIP is -- CA highway interstate police or some such thing.)

 

Officer:  "Well I believe you haven't lived here very long if you don't know what CHIP means,” and he laughs and I laugh, then he explains CHIP to me.

 

Then he said:  "Another thing, I was pulled up beside you and I used the siren for three short sirens and you didn't even look at me until the third siren."

 

Me: I start to laugh, "But that was because I was texting."

 

Officer laughing: "Very funny."

 

Officer: "Why are you in the city from El Granada?"

 

Me: "Well I had a back injury and I have to go to therapy right down the street at UCSF twice a week."

 

Officer: "I understand that, look at me,” and he shows me what looks like a stab wound but is a result of a fall and then surgery.

 

Me: "Oh that is terrible, it must have been so painful, are you still doing therapy?"

 

Officer: "I live in Daly City and I had the surgeon and PT there, but I don't think I got good care, I still have a lot of pain."

 

Me: "Well you live halfway between UCSF or Stanford, so for something serious you should go to one of those places."

 

Officer: " I think you are right.  Well you've been real polite and that goes a long way with me, so I am not going to give you a ticket, but you take care of the car registration right away, before the CHIP boys get you."

 

Me: "Officer, thank you so much,” and I extend my hand and shake his.

 

Altogether it was a nice exchange, though later last night I couldn't find my Visa card.  I hope he was a real police officer; I don't think he showed me his badge

 

So anyway, back to the point, the Iphone can involve you in a lot of personal eye to eye conversations.  Lots of strangers at airports want to use my charger, and that counts as contact.  I do hope you take my advice.  I have never steered you wrong before.  Oh, but I think I have never given you advice before.  But this is sound advice and even Wall Street can't get it once you have it in your hot little hand.

 

love the blog, linda


Gmail Comments:

-Vicki L (3-2): Hi David,  This blog response from Linda has made my day! Do you think this actually happened or was Linda copying a comedy riff from a joke book? She's too much. She's clearly a potential mentor in how to go about being a happy, vivacious widow.  

Love, V

-Jennifer M (2-27): i like the iPhone blog entry.  she's right.  :-)

-Donna D (2-26): so that's linda!....K** looks a lot like her.  so okay, david, are you convinced now about the iphone?


No comments:

Post a Comment