Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Signs of Spring

Dear George,

Winters were harsher in the U.P. than they are here in Southwestern Ohio.   Even though Menominee was located on Green Bay and thus more temperate than inland areas, it wasn’t unusual to have temperatures below zero and two-foot snowfalls.  My childhood friends and I simply decided that we weren’t going to let the weather keep us from doing stuff outdoors, and I’ve been pretty much impervious to extremes of heat or cold ever since.  This year, though, we had record snowfalls and prolonged periods of ice and cold temperatures.  I think I’m tolerating bad weather less well than I used to.  This is due in part to the problems of managing large, high-energy sheepdogs who are prone to tug at their leashes and are difficult to manage on treacherous sidewalks.  Whatever the case, Katja and I are definitely eager for spring.  Our last remaining snow melted a week ago.  While there are only occasional buds on the trees and the forest still looks brown and gray from a distance, a closer look reveals that warm weather is definitely on the way.  I spent a couple of mornings in Burnet Woods this past weekend recording some of these first signs of spring.  Here are a few photos to brighten up your day.

Love,

Dave

























P. S. More spring photos are posted at www.flickr.com/photos/lundgrdc

G-Mail Comments:

-Vicki L (3-20): Hi D....  The genes of your parents are coming through in those sweet spring photos. Abra sent me one of crocuses pushing through the snow in Philadelphia. I remember how thrilling those signs were after the arduous winters. Blooms are exploding around here and I'm sneezing like a fool.

So happy about my new little baby, though. Love, Sis

-Jennifer M (3-17): I love the closer look.  It's evidence that we've put a long winter behind us!



No comments:

Post a Comment